Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Electronic Games Magazine December 1982

Wow look at all that swell expensive high tech stuff in this two page spread. If you were extra good in 1982 maybe Santa left one of these "gifts for gamers" under your tree...

During this joyous time of year, I plan to feature a couple of these gifts, and other fun stuff from this very special issue of Electronic Games in upcoming posts. If you see a particular favorite gift in the above picture, just leave a comment and I'll try to post what EG said about it.

4 comments:

Brother Bill said...

Awesome! I have a box stacked with old issues of EG magazine (unfortunately many of the pages have holes in them where, as a kid, I'd cut out artwork to post on my wall). I actually still have my working Vectrex from back in the day (it's the black monitor-looking thing on the left with the giant Atari trackball leaning up against it...which I also had. ) I loved the smell of new cartrige boxes on Xmas morning...

David W. said...

I had a neighbor that had the Vectrex. It was an interesting system. If only it was in color
and could play Tempest!

Brother Bill said...

David W: Probably more than you wanted to know, but the Vectrex did have "color"...sort of. Each game had the colored plastic screen overlays (that also supplemented the crude graphics). Also, if you had the 3-D Imager (an electronic 3-D headset which used a half-opaqued spinning color wheel to strobe the left/right lenses) you had limited colors for the 3-D games designed to use it (I think 2 or 3 colors, which were picked up by the screen's graphics based on their illumination level).

And they did have a Tempest knock-off called Web War (Tempest's space tube was replaced with a spiders tube-shaped web). Yea--it was pretty lame, and not the same.

Anonymous said...

http://www.modd3d.com/articles/index.php?itemid=95

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails